6.01.2011

Artist : Paul Klee

As some of you may know from reading my Twitter feed, I have been obsessed lately with Paul Klee and his work at the Bauhaus. I'm reading an excellent book about the lives of some of the most prominant teachers there. I knew of Klee's paintings but I had no idea about the puppets he made for his son, Felix. And better yet, there's a book edited by Zentrum Paul Klee in Berlin!


Felix was a student at the Bauhaus while Klee taught there. He was more interested in theater so they decided to make puppets and put on shows featuring the faculty and students in sometimes revealing and always entertaining plays about them.


I've been trying to think of what to do with my daughter over the summer when she is out of school and I think I have my answer! On top of that, her 1st grade teacher for next year told us she would love to have the 1st graders put on a puppet show with the 6th graders. Would this not be the perfect project for them?


Look at how forward of a thinker he was back in the 1920's. The looseness and creativity just oozes out of these creations. I think I love the clothing the most of course.


The book has documented these in great detail. I plan on  spending hours pouring over these.


Half of the puppets were destroyed during the bombing of Dresden in WWII but the ones that remain are simply stunning! If you want to buy the book, visit here. And if you want some more instant gratification, check out this set of flikr photos by Old Chum.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely book! I wonder if it was developed in conjunction with an exhibition I saw. I'm a Paul Klee nut as well: we went to Bern just to see Ad Parnassum on display at the Zentrum, and they had a whole gallery full of puppets and other theatrical works. It was fascinating, but I have to say that Ad Parnassum had me enthralled. I could have sat in front of it for days (well, I pretty much did).

Jen said...

A side of Paul Klee I didn't know about. Thanks for posting!

Unknown said...

Great post! The puppets are so stunning in person. If you ever get the chance to go to a retrospective - I highly recommend!

:)

kathrynclark said...

@Cally, how funny because Ad Parnassum is my favorite piece too. How lucky you were to see it in person.

If I'm ever in Berlin I'm headed straight to that museum!

LR said...

it is interesting to hear when artists, such as paul klee, took the time to play. these puppets certainly give insight into a more personal side.

kathrynclark said...

Ludid, I agree. He was so devoted to his son, mostly the primary caregiver. The stories are so sweet to read.

Sophie Truong said...

fantastic! thanks for sharing.. one more book in the cart (thank god there's a save for later function)
you r going to have a great time with your daughter, cant wait to se the results!

Sonya Philip said...

I didn't know about Paul Klee making hand puppets, they are fascinating. Reminds me of Alexander Calder and his whimsical Circus sculptures. Must get the book.

Kitty Kilian said...

Some of the most beautiful textile by the bauhaus women also were the blankets they made for their own babies... I tried to find the one I meant in my books but can't right now..

Jaime Rugh said...

Great find. And what a great summer project. Had no idea he made these as well. Love their clothes

Brenna said...

I just stumbled across your work from Hand/Eye, love your quilts. I have this book too! It's amazing! My partner and I made some similar puppets for our son, they are so much fun because anything goes. Love the clothing too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails